Thursday, September 4, 2008

Booking Through Thursday



I was looking through books yesterday at the shops and saw all the Twilight books, which I know basically nothing about. What I do know is that I’m beginning to feel like I’m the *only* person who knows nothing about them.
Despite being almost broke and trying to save money, I almost bought the expensive book (Australian book prices are often completely nutty) just because I felt the need to be ‘up’ on what everyone else was reading.
Have you ever felt pressured to read something because ‘everyone else’ was reading it? Have you ever given in and read the book(s) in question or do you resist? If you are a reviewer, etc, do you feel it’s your duty to keep up on current trends?
I have, at times, felt pressured to read books "everyone else" is reading. Sometimes I do read those books because the books have rave reviews and others just because. Funny though, about half the time I like the book and the other half I don't. Example; everyone is reading Twighlight - I loved it! A few months back everyone was reading The Road - started it - and not so much. I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was the book, maybe it was my attitude/mood at the time. I don't know. There are times when I have resisted reading the current trends (It took me months to read Twighlight!). I am not a reviewer, but I do certainly keep up on current trends. I like to see what is out there and see what everyone is reading.

1 comment:

SmilingSally said...

I've changed as I've aged. I used to be pressured; now not so much.