Monday, August 18, 2008

Some of you may be wondering....

why my blog is called the quilting bookworm.

I love to read, I read an average of 2-3 books a week, on top of quilting and everything else. Yep, 2-3 books, and many are not small books 200-300 pages is average. You know, a normal adult book.

So....where is this going you may ask....


I found this challenge tonight called the Book Awards II Challenge. The challenge is to read 10 award winning books in 10 months. Think I can do it?? You have to have 5 different catagories of books (Pulitzer, Newberry etc awards).

I haven't actually decided on my 10 books yet, but I have some pretty good ideas. Of course, that is subject to change. Here are a few possibilities:

1. Middlesex - Jeffrey Eugenides (Pulitzer)
2. Lonesome Dove - Larry McMurtry (Pulitzer)
3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker (National Book Award)
4. Life of Pi by Yann Martel (Booker Prize)
5. Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally (Booker Prize) - this I have tried to read SEVERAL times
6. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson (PEN/Faulkner Award)
7. Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes (Newberry)
8. We Need to Talk About Kevin - Shriver (Orange Award)
9. A Fable - William Faulkner (Pulitzer)
10. The Road - Cormac McCarthy (Pulitzer)

The only one I am really not sure about it the last one - The Road. I have heard good things about it but for some reason it just never struck me as something I wanted to read. But hey, I will give it a shot and as I said before; this list is tenative! You never know what one may find on a library shelf one day calling to you!

Right now I am trying to read Anne of Avonlea. It is for my book club this coming Thursday and I just can't get it done! I have two more days and am just not into it! I read Anne of Green Gables also for this month, but I had a hard time with that one too! I don't know why - I just have a hard time staying focused.

So that is where this post was going and now you know. There will be more updates on books as I work through this list and hopefully get more reading in. I am only at 80 books for the year and I want to hit 150 (25 more than last year!)

Have a good night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great plan! I've only read #4 and #6, and they were both very good, particularly #4! I loved Life of Pi, it had such an unexpected ending that really made you think :-)

Granny Lyn said...

I am a reader, too, just finished Alice's Tulips by Sandra Dallas last night. So, it is off to the library today, can't be without for a day!! tee hee,,

good luck on your challenge! I admire your goal!!

Cornbread and Beans Quilting said...

I loved Anne of Green Gables!! So much so that I dragged my husband to Prince Edward Island (to visit the home of Lucy Maude Montgomery and see the "green gables" house)for our honeymoon....can you believe he agreed? We spent almost 3 weeks on the island. It was awesome and just as described in the books (I read every one of them.)

Knowing how I feel about Anne, you might not trust my recommendations (wink, wink) but I noticed Gilead is a title on the Book Awards II button. If you haven't read it you should add that one to your list. Excellent book that. Of the other's on your list I have only read Middlesex, and listened to the Life of Pi on cd. Both are interesting reads.
Great to meet another avid reader. I can't be anywhere without a book in hand, or a book in my cd player.