Thursday, June 11, 2009


Today, J turns 13. My baby, a teenager. I can't believe it! While I have only known him 9 years it seems like forever and he is growing up so fast! We have such a close relationship and even our own language. I can't wait to see what the next 13+ years have in store for him!

In other news:
I did get two more batik/black blocks done this week. I have 5 finished so far. I want to get this quilt done and enter it in the fair in August, but we shall see if time permits. I would also like to have it professionally quilted (on a long arm) but that may not happen soon enough for fair. This blocks are a Thangles BOM that our LQS did last year and the outer part of the stars is the finishing. Its going to be really cool when its done and king size too!
These are the two blocks I finished this week:

These four blocks I have no idea what I am going to do with them. All the rest of the blocks I had fat quarters of the inner star material to complete the outside. These 4 I don't...

So I don't know if I should use something that matches them colorwise or if I should redo them completely to something I have enough of and then use these as backing or what...I just don't know! Any suggestions are welcome!

It has been a bit busy around here this week. We (the boys and I) cleaned out the basement and their bookshelves. We donated 6 garbage bags of clothes, 4 brown bags of books and a bunch of toys to the local community action that gives to the needy. Then we cleaned out the garage. Yesterday I did sew and today I went to get my blood work and pick up prescriptions. We have had something for the kids every night this week. I also have to replant most of my garden, it didn't come up at all! I have 3 or 4 pumpkins and that is it!

CC has also been not feeling well. He got bit by something and it swelled up pretty bad. He lost all his fur but it finally broke open last night and drained. He is doing 100% better today. No fever, eating, playing! I'm so glad, we were really getting worried! The same thing happened to the neighbor's cat so we have no idea what it was!!!

Tonight is baseball, basketball and hippology. We go to Columbus on Monday!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!

11 comments:

Terry said...

My baby boy turned 13 in February so I know how you feel! Love those quilt blocks, especially the first one. :0)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the blocks look wonderful. It sounds like you have a close relationship with your step-son and that is great!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anne said...

Love those blocks, the colours are so vibrant.

Know what you mean about kids growing up - a cliche, but it really does not seem that long ago that they were babies. My second youngest turns 13 in October.

Sandy said...

Great blocks, Sara...that will be stunning.

Allison said...

You either love batiks or you hate them I think! Actually I must admit I've seen them in some quilts and have actually liked them alot, but I haven't ever bought any. YOur blocks look amazing though, I love the black (grey?) really makes it pop!

Marilyn Robertson said...

Your blocks look wonderful Sara! This is going to be one beautiful quilt!

jacquie said...

13 is quite a milestone for both of you. it's a fun (sort of roller coaster) through the teen years. enjoy!

RG said...

Sara, I love your batik blocks...they're wonderful!!!
You'll figure out something for the others..I know you will.
Happy birthday to your 13 yo young man!! Hope he had a wonderful day.
sounds like you've been very busy cleaning...I need to get in in sort out lots of spaces like you have too.
Hope your CC is completely better now.
Have the best day Sara,
hugs
Robyn xx

Karen from Sew Many Ways... said...

Happy Birthday!! Woo Hoo 13. Love the blocks. You've been busy sewing and cleaning...such a good feeling though.
~Karen~

Jocelyn said...

My baby is 17, and boy does it ever go fast! Enjoy these years. Some may be rough, but they don't have to be :-)

Noelle said...

Happy Birthday to Jay!

You know...I don't know if this happens to you...but sometimes I'm reading your blog, and I'm mentally trying to reconcile the adult life with 10yr old girl I used to spend lots of time drooling over the Cabbage Patch Doll pages in the toy cataloges. Do you remember that? It seems like so long ago. How can we be the same people? (FYI - heh...I still have my Cabbage Patch Dolls. They're in a box in the closet.)